Gianfranco Merati is an Italian photographer whose work is driven by the belief that beauty can be found everywhere, and his mission is to reveal it through his photographic lens. For the past decade, Gianfranco has been developing his practice, exploring the complex geometry found within nature through abstract photography within a studio setting.
Gianfranco approaches each of his projects in a bespoke way, starting with researching and exploring the properties of the material selected so he can understand how to work it. He then begins experimenting with light, exploring how best to use it to contour the subject matter for clear and descriptive images. He has built up repetition and contrast within series of photographs on each subject, embracing the technically difficult as it challenges him to produce art that surpasses those challenges.
One of Gianfranco’s main inspirations is the geometry of nature. He often works with very close crops of the microscopic structures he photographs, transforming their intrinsic patterns and textures into the abstract, allowing space for the viewer to engage their imagination. His explorations have revealed flowers within droplets of magnetized fluid, colorful ice shelves within sugar crystals, and more, exposing the detail within common compounds such as water, glass, sugar, spices, flowers, and light.
Despite the intricacy and detail in his photographs, Gianfranco does not manipulate his images digitally to create any illusions in his work. Instead, he uses both high-tech methods and innovative use of basic means to create exacting and almost unreal final images. His photographic series include projects revealing tessellating patterns within insects’ wings, magnetic fluid ‘pulled’ into rippling miniature landscapes, the mesmerising colours and shapes obtained by various chemical reactions and the fascinating shapes and colours of melted sugar.
Beauty is everywhere
For Gianfranco, photography is a tool for exploration and discovery. He uses his photography practice to test the limits of visual perception, and his work is infused with science, nature, and the thrill of solving complex problems. His ultimate goal is to give people the opportunity to see the beauty in elemental structures of nature they would not otherwise see without his photographic lens.
In conclusion, Gianfranco Merati is a photographer whose work pushes the boundaries of visual perception and reveals the intricacies of nature through abstract photography. His dedication to experimentation and exploration, combined with his technical skills, produce art that surpasses challenges and captures the beauty in everything around us.
The impressive list of awards of Gianfranco Merati:
– London International Creative Competition 2022, Two projects in the top-15 finalists — London
– TIFA, 2022, One Gold and One Bronze Medal — Tokyo
– New York Photography Award, 2022, One Gold Medal and 11 Silver Medals — New York
– FAPA, 2022, Four Times Nominee — London
– MIFA, 2022, Gold Medal, Category Winner — Moscow
– MIFA, 2022, Silver Medals x2, Category Winner — Moscow
– MIFA, 2022, Bronze Medal, Category Winner — Moscow
– TIFA, 2021, Second Place Overall Category Winner — Tokyo
– TIFA, 2021, Gold Medal, Category Winner — Tokyo
– TIFA, 2021, Silver Medal, Category Winner — Tokyo
– BIFA, 2021, Silver Medal, Category Winner — Budapest
– BIFA, 2021, Bronze Medal, Category Winner — Budapest
– PX3, 2021, Bronze Medal, Category Winner — Paris
Make sure to visit his website for more information or to reach out to Gianfranco.